[Valid Atom 1.0] Life With Cake: Eating Disorder Blog: Judgement Day

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Judgement Day

Oh, boy. I've really done it this time. Basically, a couple of posts ago--posts that I've since deleted--I spewed verbal vomit all over my blog about the two sisters I was temporarily rooming with. In the posts, I'd said some extremely judgmental things about their behaviors--behaviors reflective of my past--and, I'm sure you can see where this is going... they read them. I've completely hurt their feelings, which I feel terrible about, as they are (or were, I'm not sure at this point) two of my closest friends.

I've apologized, more than once, but I don't know what will come in the future. Being judgmental is one of my worst qualities, and I consciously work on improving it. Being that I'm going into a helping profession, I truly love to help people. As my "professional" self, I'm not judgmental; however, personally, I become judgmental when I either feel out of control or trapped, or when I've tried to help people and they repeat the unhealthy behaviors, ultimately, leaving me with the feeling of powerlessness. It's all very strange to me, because I was that person who repeated the same self-destructive behaviors, for years. I thank god that I had compassionate and patient people in my life.

It was just very difficult for me to be compassionate when I was in a situation where I didn't have space, so, to some extent, I had no choice but to witness every behavior that was going on. Typically, I don't care how obsessive or ritualistic one is (we all have certain "isms"), but after two months of living in a one-room studio and witnessing the behavior daily, I felt out of control. I couldn't change it, because I really had nowhere else to go... so, I became judgmental, because I didn't know how to handle it.

What I know, though, is as judgmental as I can be towards others, it's nothing compared to the judgment I put on myself each day. I hope my character defects are not going to cost me the friendship, but it might. This is typically when I'd repeatedly call myself a stupid fucking idiot bitch , which I've already done, but, for today, I'll try to keep the bashing to a minimum.

All I can do is try to do better the next time. Live and learn, I guess.

For today... progress, not perfection... not only in actions, but also, in attitudes.

3 comments:

The Thrifty Book Nerd said...

You are right. Progress not perfection. Sometimes we want to be perfect but all we need is to be ourselves. Thanks for coming to my spot. I've been following you for awhile. Your blog has given me many great articles and posts. Thanks a bunch!!!

Unknown said...

oh I'm sorry. I have done things like that and you feel sick to your stomach wishing you could undo it. But yeah, you have to forgive yourself and learn what you can from it.

Wrapped up in Life said...

Progress, not perfectio is the mantra of life. And forgiveness is the gift of the wise.

I hope things turn out for you, and that understanding encompasses all sides.

<3,
e